Friday, July 5, 2013

Fourth of July

Yesterday was busy and I didn't get a chance to update this blog but I am going to take the time now... I am grateful for the freedom that we have in this great country, for the men and women who are serving and have served this country. I am grateful for the time that we have to celebrate, that we can take the time to spend with friends and family without worrying so much about life. I am grateful for fireworks, parades, smiles, and the Gospel that allows me to more fully understand my purpose. I am grateful for God and his hand in what happens to me on a personal level but also for his hand in what happens in this country. There is evil around us but if we put our trust in God we will not fail. I hope your Independence day celebrations were enjoyable.
I don't know that many people are aware that the Star-Spangled banner has more than one verse (because that is all that is ever sung) but the last verse is my very favorite. I love the message that it conveys. 

"O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
 Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
 Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
 Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
 Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
 And this be our motto: "in God is our trust."
 And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
 O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"


No comments:

Post a Comment